Coffee Date Rice Cream
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 pound chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons Granulated sugar|Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee
- Beat egg egg yolk|yolks slightly; stir in milk, rice, brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, butter and dates.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Pour into shallow baking pan or pans.
- Combine Granulated sugar|Sugar, coffee and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add Granulated sugar|Sugar mixture gradually and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Spread meringue over pudding.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
Makes 12 servings.