Georgia Pecan Candy
- 1 cup brown sugar#About Brown sugar|light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar|white sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp white corn syrup
- ? tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla or 1 tsp cognac vanilla
- 2 cup large pecan halves
- Put sugars, cream, corn syrup, salt and 2 tbsp of the butter in a bowl.
- Mix until sugars are saturated with cream.
- Put in a heavy pan over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally and wipe down crystals from the sides of the pan with a small, damp piece of cloth wrapped around the handle of a wooden spoon, or put a lid on the pan and allow the steam to evaporate the crystals.
- Cook syrup until it registers 236°F.
- On a candy thermometer or a teaspoon of the syrup dropped in cold water forms a soft ball.
- Remove from heat and add remaining butter and vanilla.
- When the candy has cooled to 110°F., beat it until it begins to lose its transparency.
- Add nuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls on a buttered marble or pastry sheet in the form of clusters.
- Let cool and store in a tight tin.
* Yield: about 24 candies, depending on size.